Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Homemade Sambar Powder

Hurray! I made my home made sambar powder and my first attempt turned out to be a success! I always love sambar a lot especially my mother's sambar. This sambar powder recipe is given to me by my mother in law and is sure a keeper. She always prepares everything at home be it any flour or podi and gives it for grinding in mill. So, last time when she visited I noted down each ingredient and made it yesterday. I will soon be posting her other home made preparations also.

Its a bit time consuming but its sure special and tastier because its home made right?.


Ingredients:


To dry under sunlight:

1. Red chillies - 1/4 kg (I used long variety)
2. Coriander seeds - 1/4kg
3. Virali Manjal/Turmeric stick - 2 pieces

 To dry roast:

Toor Dal, Peppercorns, Jeera, Fenugreek seeds, Kootu Perungayam (Asafoetida in solid form)- each 25g, Curry leaves - a few, Raw rice (pacha arisi) - 1 handful

Method:


1. Sun dry the chillies, coriander seeds, and turmeric for 1 or 2 days depending on the amount of sunlight. It is very hot here in my place so 1 day was sufficient for me. You can test this by breaking the chilli, it will break with ease.
2. Remove the stalks from the chillies and put those, coriander seeds and turmeric in a container.
3. Dry roast each ingredient separately under the 'dry roast' section. You have to do this with a bit of patience till the toor dal, jeera, fenugreek, asafoetida will turn a brownish color. Do not let it become charred. Dry roast curry leaves and rice also. Its better to do all this in medium low flame or sim.
4. Put all this together in the container and give it to grind in mill.

Please give it a try and leave your feedback!.


Notes:


1. I used long variety of red chillies. The small and round variety will be more spicy. My mother in law uses half small and half long. I did not get the small variety so used long itself. However, it was right for my taste bud. So, its up to you.
2. Make sure you sun dry the 3 ingredients properly.
3. In the mill which I gave for grinding, they dried after grinding the podi also. If they dont do in yours, just dry it at home.
4. After removing the stalks of chillies, be sure to wash your hands before touching your face. I always end up touching my eyes or somewhere in my face and tearing and washing vigorously after that ;-P. This is just a word of caution for people like me.
5. You can also make in higher quantity. For example, for 1/2kg, the chillies and coriander would be 1/2 kg and rest 50 gm.

No comments:

Post a Comment